Information Technologies (IT) follows these procedures when unlocking NetID accounts. IT will not unlock the accounts of users who commit a second locking violation after signing a User Reinstatement Form. In the case of post-reinstatement offenders, a report of the violation and a copy of the signed User Reinstatement Form will be sent to the Dean of Students office, the Office of the Provost or the staff supervise for possible disciplinary action. In some cases, locking violations could result in criminal prosecution.
Procedures for Unlocking a NetID Account
1. Require the person claiming ownership of the locked account to present picture ID.
2. Determine the reason for the account being locked:
- If the account was locked because of a compromised password, provide the account holder with Rules for Creating a NetID Password and instruct them to create a new password that meets IT criteria.
- If the account was locked by the the Security Administrator, the Security Analyst or the Support Center staff, contact them before unlocking the account.
- If the account was locked by the IT Systems group or another IT group, determine the reason for the lock from IT records.
3. If the account was locked because of a security violation, such as the defeat, or attempted defeat, of IT security, audit or accounting, or multiple and varied off-site logins:
- Determine if the account owner was the perpetrator. If not, he or she must sign a User Reinstatement Form acknowledging responsibility for the NetID account and its password.
- If the account owner is found to have committed the violation, he or she must sign a User Reinstatement Form certifying that they agree to abide by the specific areas of UNM’s Acceptable Computer Use policy which were violated.
- If the actions of the account owner violate state or local laws, report the violation to Campus Police as well as to the Dean of Students office, the Office of the Provost or the staff supervisor, as appropriate.
4. If the account was locked at the request of the holder's supervisor:
- The account may be unlocked only if the supervisor, Human Resources or the University Council determines that the reason for locking the account was unfounded, or if the employee has successfully appealed the action.
- In any case, the employee is entitled to download, under supervision of an IT staff member, his or her personal files from the locked account to storage media. Instruct the account holder to contact the Support Center to arrange file download.
For more information, contact IT Customer Support Services, 505.277.5757.