Novell Messenger is a secure, locally hosted instant messaging
software available to UNM business units and users. It is a safer alternative
to publicly hosted IM systems such as AIM, Yahoo, or Microsoft Messenger.
IT NM is available to all faculty and staff who have na IT NetID.
- IT GroupWise users already have access to IT NM; just install the
client software and login using their GroupWise login and password.
- IT-UNM users may add any salud.unm.edu user as a Novell Messenger contact.
Novell Messenger software for Windows, Mac OS X, and Linux is
available from the following links.
Windows Installation Instructions
- Get Novell Messenger 2.2.0 for Windows at the Download page (file size - 3.2 MB)
- Do one of the following to Install:
- To start the installation immediately, click Run This Program From
Its Current Location > click Yes if prompted by a security warning.
- To copy the download to your computer for installation at a later
time, click Save This Program to Disk. When the download is complete,
double-click nvlmsgr.exe to start the installation.
- When the installation is complete, double-click the Messenger icon on
Linux Installation Instructions
- Get Novell Messenger
for Linux at the Download page (file size - 22.6 MB)
- After downloading, open a new terminal window and cd to the directory
where you downloaded the installer (nvlmsgr.bin).
- Use the su command to become root. At the prompt, type: sh
- Double-click the desktop icon. NOTE: It might take a few seconds to load.
Mac OS X Installation Instructions
- Get Novell Messenger for
Mac OS X at the Download page (file size - 3.03 MB)
- After downloading, Novell Messenger should install automatically,
if it doesn't, go to the folder where you saved the file and double-click
- Double-click the desktop icon.
On first login, you may need to enter the Server and Port information as
in this example:
Novell Messenger will start in the Contact List window.
To start a instant message, click the Send a Message link then click the
Find User... button.
The Add a contact link will add contacts from the IT GroupWise system address