Information Technologies is now offering antivirus software — Symantec Endpoint Protection (SEP) — for all desktop computers. Antivirus software is available for no-fee to all UNM students, faculty and staff with a valid NetID and password.
To replace McAfee Antivirus software and install SEP, please follow these steps.
- Before making any changes to your computer, it is a best practice to perform a full system backup. Follow you normal backup process.
- Remove McAfee. Start> Control Panel> Add/Remove Programs, select McAfee Antivirus and click Remove.
- Download the SEP client package.
- After the download is complete, double-click on the file to install.
- Read and accept the license agreement. Click Next.
- After installation is complete, restart your computer. SEP will update automatically if an active Internet connection is available.
Macintosh Symantec AntiVirus 10
Symantec does not market Macintosh antivirus software as Endpoint Protection, however Symantec AntiVirus 10 will provide the same antivirus protection for your Macintosh. Find complete installation instructions in the second chapter of the Symantec Administration Console Install Guide located inside the Support folder.
Note: Do not install or attempt to run Symantec 10.2 for Mac on a UFS formatted disk. Do not install or attempt to run Symantec 10.2 for Mac on a Case-Sensitive HFS+ formatted disk.
- If you have Norton Anti Virus or an earlier version of Symantec installed, please uninstall by using the Uninstaller in the Support Folder.
- If you have any additional Norton products installed, such as Norton Confidential, perlform a live update before installing 10.2.
- Download Symantec AntiVirus 10 for Macintosh.
- Double-click the Installer.dmg icon.
- When "This package contains a program" message appers, click Continue.
- Click Continue at the Welcome to Symantec Anti Virus window.
- Review the Read Me text and click continue.
- Click continue at the Software License Agreement panel.
- Click Argree at the agreement dialog box.
- If applicable, Select A Destination disk.
- Click Install.
- When prompted, type int the Admin's account name and pasword, click OK.
- Confirm installation, click Continue Installation.
- When Installation is complete, Logout.
- Start SEP.
- At the top right-side of the display, expand the Symantec QuickMenu and highlight LiveUpdate. In the cascading menu, select Update Everything Now.
- Click OK in the Summary window and quit LiveUpdate.
- Expand the QuickMenu again, highlight Symantec AntiVirus and in the cascading menu, select Auto-Protect.